The Geisinger Pediatric Residency Program is committed to providing state-of-the-art training with a dynamic curriculum that coincides with the changing health care environment and meets the needs of physicians-in-training for the 21st century.
We are committed to providing our residents a comprehensive, high-quality and personally rewarding educational experience that will prepare them for their choice of careers - primary care, fellowship training, public health, and others.
- Comprehensive pediatric training at the only rurally located children's hospital in the United States and one of the few rural-based tertiary care medical centers in the country.
- Broad-base curriculum that focuses on the obtainment of the six nationally recognized competencies: medical knowledge, patient care, practice-based learning, professionalism, interpersonal skills & communication, and systems based practice.
- An extensive (both hospital and community-based) outpatient clinic experience with a strong emphasis on continuity of care, health care supervision, developmental aspects of pediatric care.
- Broad range of pediatric subspecialty rotations including pediatric surgical subspecialty electives.
- Flexible curriculum to support personal ambition while fulfilling ACGME Pediatric RRC requirements.
- Close relationship with full-time faculty, who carry academic teaching appointments from Jefferson Medical College, Temple University Medical College and Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine.
- Strong camaraderie among residents.
- Opportunities for additional scholarly activities including research projects and educational writing.
- Memberships in the American Academy of Pediatrics and American Osteopathic Association (for DO residents).
- Subscriptions to Pediatrics in Review, Pediatrics and Pediatrics Review and Education Program (PREP)
- Publications: The Harriet Lane Handbook and The Red Book.
- Our Health Sciences Library provides access for residents to information tools including Up to Date, Ovid, MD Consult and more than 1,300 on-line electronic journals.
- Beautiful, pastoral community which offers a wide range of recreational and cultural activities, affordable housing in a variety of settings, superb local school system, and numerous surrounding colleges and universities.
In addition to the standard three year categorical pediatric residency program, the pediatric residency offers several specialty tracks at Geisinger Medical Center. They include, but are not limited to, Combined internal medicine/pediatrics training, pediatric osteopathic training program (peds fast track) and pediatric preliminary year.