Coronavirus (COVID-19) information
Updated July 24, 2020, 3 p.m.
Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine (GCSOM) is committed to the safety and well-being of our students, faculty and staff. This Health and Safety Plan provides details on strategies developed to safely reopen our Medical Sciences Building (MSB) located at 525 Pine Street, Scranton, Pa. and return students to in-person learning using a phased approach.
For the safety of our students, faculty, staff and visitors, the following protocols are in place to enter the MSB:
- Strict social distancing will be maintained (keep a distance of six feet from colleagues and students).
- Frequent hand washing will be encouraged.
- Face coverings/masks will be required.
- A rigorous screening process will be observed. Everyone who wishes to enter the MSB must take Geisinger's screening survey. To gain entrance, you need to show your phone with the green check mark from the screening survey. If you access the link via your phone, you can save it to your home page. Employees will need their Lawson number to take the survey. If you do not know your Lawson number, you can find it on the Geisinger employee portal page under the Info/Lawson tab. Students and visitors do not need a Lawson number to complete the survey.
- Temperatures will be taken as you enter the building.
What to do if you “fail” the screen and get a red check: When you complete the screening survey, you will receive either a green check mark or a red X. If you get a red X, you cannot enter the building. Employees should contact Employee Health (570-214-9424) and students should contact Student Health Services (570-558-4291).
Geisinger has issued the following event guidelines. The School of Medicine will adhere to these guidelines until further notice.
- A group may include no more than 25 individuals/participants at any time.
- All attendees must complete the COVID-19 survey questions upon entry and will have their temperature taken.
- Hand sanitizer must be available for all participants.
- Social distancing signage must be clearly visible.
- Extra masks must be available for those who do not have them.
- Sanitizer wipes must be used to sanitize all pens, materials, etc.
There are also additional guidelines that may apply depending on the event. Contact Kara Badyrka, director of special events, with any questions at email@example.com.
Current students can learn about COVID-19 emergency grants here. CARES Act reporting information can be found here.
Current and incoming GCSOM medical students should check CANVAS for the most recent updates. General information can also be found here.
Prospective medical students can find updates concerning our upcoming application cycle here.
Master of Biomedical Sciences (MBS) admissions
Prospective MBS students can find updates concerning our summer and fall semesters here.
Geisinger is following protocols set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Pennsylvania Department of Health. Please visit their sites for more detailed information about COVID-19.
Geisinger has set up a dedicated, 24/7 coronavirus hotline for those with questions about care recommendations and more at 570-284-3657. For more information, visit geisinger.org/coronavirus.