Vascular Surgery Fellowship and Integrated Residency
Geisinger’s Vascular Surgery programs prepare you to treat children and adults with even the most complex pathologies — and to pass the board exam like all our program graduates have since 1981.
Evan Ryer, MD, program director
Diverse patients. Diverse pathologies. Cutting-edge technology. And a team that welcomes you as a trusted colleague from day one.
Those are just some of the features that make Geisinger’s ACGME-accredited Vascular Surgery Fellowship (5+2) and Integrated Residency (0+5) stand out from other programs.
Since 1981, we’ve trained skilled surgeons who are prepared to pass the board exam and join a small group of highly trained clinicians focused on all aspects of vascular care and surgery. Our residency program begins with its inaugural internship program for the 2023 academic year.
As our vascular surgery fellow/resident, you’ll join a team that will welcome you as a learner — and a colleague.
The programs in vascular surgery are comprehensive and intensive, during which our residents and fellows will be expected to:
- Develop into a fully autonomous, independent vascular surgeon who’s ready to provide excellent, safe and compassionate care
- Become competent and confident in the evaluation, operative treatment and nonoperative management of patients with disorders of the arterial, venous and lymphatic systems
- Become a lifelong learner who’s able to conduct cutting-edge research and stay up-to-date on advancements in care
- Develop a sense of professionalism that will allow your patients and colleagues to trust you as a leader in vascular care
- Gain all the clinical education and experience you need for certification by the Vascular Surgery Board of the American Board of Surgery
- Understand all noninvasive vascular laboratory studies and their role in patient care, achieve certification by the ARDMS (i.e., RPVI certification) and be prepared to direct a noninvasive vascular laboratory
We’ve made sure every one of our vascular surgery fellows earns board certification. Our specialty is small and tightly knit, and we want to train exceptional colleagues who are as passionate as we are about this field.
Our values — kindness, excellence, safety, learning and innovation — are at the heart of everything we do. We provide high-quality, patient-centered, cost-effective care to our patients across central Pennsylvania. And our residents and fellows learn to do the same.
- Here at Geisinger, you get the best of both worlds: Training at a robust, nationally recognized academic medical center in the heart of Pennsylvania. And a location that enhances well-being and promotes work/life balance.
- Access to educational resources like:
- Simulation skill development and procedure workshops
- Research and quality improvement (QI) courses
- Geisinger has everything you need to thrive as a vascular surgery resident or fellow, including:
- 1,450 licensed beds, including 101 intensive care unit beds
- 88 operating rooms, including four hybrid rooms dedicated to vascular surgery
- State-of-the-art imaging facilities
- Full breadth of subspecialty services
- Compassionate staff
- Dedicated vascular surgery core faculty, residents and medical students
Are you ready to join us?
Message from the chair
It's my pleasure to welcome you to apply to the Geisinger vascular surgery training program, one of the largest and busiest in the country. This program is well established and predates most programs in the country, having been founded in 1981. Since its inception, the focus of the Geisinger vascular surgery has been on the trainee’s surgical education. We offer an exceptional training environment and train future leaders in vascular care. Any decisions that we have made at Geisinger have been with the trainee and their education as the driving force in the decision process. This approach has allowed the development of an outstanding vascular surgery training program as evidenced by the great alumni that have completed their training at Geisinger.
In addition to its world class facilities, Geisinger is unique as our focus is always on the patient. We work together as one team. Our emergency department, operating rooms, vascular lab and offices are all located near one another to make it easier to care for the complex patients we treat.
Given our focus on education, we have a daily educational conference that all staff and trainees participate in. Additionally, research is an integral part of our efforts and is conducted by all staff and trainees. Our research efforts keep us enthused about new topics and technology in vascular surgery. When you hear the details of our work, I'm certain you'll be excited as well.
I look forward to meeting you during your interview visit to Geisinger, either in person or virtually, as it will further highlight the many great things that are happening here.
Chair, Vascular Surgery
Vice-Chair, Geisinger Heart & Vascular Institute
Geisinger serves more than 1 million people in central and northeastern Pennsylvania. We’ve been nationally recognized for innovative practices in quality, delivery models such as ProvenCare® and the use of an award-winning electronic medical record, Epic®. Our physician-led system has about 24,000 employees, including nearly 1,700 physicians, 10 hospital campuses, two research centers and a health plan with more than half a million members, all of which boost our hometown economies by $7.1 billion annually.