The primary goal of Geisinger's Anesthesiology Residency is to provide residents with the clinical training, knowledge, skills, resources and experience to not only meet the requirements for board certification, but to become a safe, competent and professional consultant anesthesiologist.
The Division of Anesthesiology consists of 90 staff anesthesiologists, 10 interventional pain medicine physicians, 24 anesthesiology residents, 222 nurse anesthetists, and two regional anesthesia and acute pain service nurses currently providing anesthesia and pain medicine-related services at 11 facilities:
- Geisinger Medical Center (GMC), Danville, PA
- Geisinger Woodbine Outpatient Clinic, Danville, PA
- Geisinger Shamokin Area Community Hospital (GSACH), a campus of GMC, Coal Township, PA
- Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center (GWV), Wilkes-Barre, PA
- Geisinger South Wilkes-Barre Hospital (GSWB), a campus of GWV, Wilkes-Barre, PA
- Geisinger Bloomsburg Hospital (G-Bloom), Bloomsburg, PA
- Geisinger Gray's Woods, State College, PA
- Geisinger Community Medical Center, Scranton, PA
- Geisinger Lewistown Hospital, Lewistown, PA
- Geisinger Holy Spirit (GHS), Camp Hill, PA
- AtlantiCare Health System, New Jersey
During the internship year (clinical base year) and first year of residency (CA-1 year), resident rotations will take place only at the two Danville facilities, located less than two miles from each other. In later years and during elective rotations, residents may participate in educational and training activities at GWV. Extensive technologic capability allows for real-time distance learning during conferences, without the commute.