Angela Slampak-Cindric, PharmD, BCPS, BCCCP, program director
Welcome to the PGY2 Critical Care Pharmacy Residency Program at Geisinger Medical Center. Our residency offers a dynamic and innovative experience for pharmacists who aim to become exceptionally skilled critical care clinicians. In addition to robust, diversified experiences in clinical critical care, we provide rich opportunities for cultivating teaching and leadership skills.
Our academic medical center is home to specialized intensive care units including multiple medical intensive care units, a cardiothoracic/vascular unit, trauma unit, neonatal intensive care unit, neuroscience unit, pediatric intensive care unit and surgical unit. We are a Level 1 Trauma Center and Comprehensive Stroke Center. Pharmacists respond to all inpatient adult code and stroke alerts. Our ambulatory Post Intensive Care Clinic serves our patients across the continuum of care.
We have a state-of-the-art simulation center where we hone skills collaboratively with medical fellows and residents. Our electronic ICU platform allows us to provide critical care services to Geisinger hospitals throughout the state. We are fortunate to have a dedicated biocontainment unit designated by the Centers for Disease Control. The hospital environment is academic in nature. We are pleased to host learners from more than 15 schools of pharmacy, three pharmacy residency programs, Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine, Bloomsburg University School of Nursing and numerous medical residency and fellowship programs.
At Geisinger, we take pride in being at the cutting edge of technological innovation. This residency is designed to train future leaders critical care pharmacy practice.
Our residency offers the opportunity to learn from a diverse multidisciplinary team. Our pharmacists are board certified in critical care, cardiology, pharmacotherapy, infectious diseases, pediatrics, nutrition support, oncology and more. Our physicians are all board certified in critical care medicine from fields including internal medicine, pulmonary, general surgery, trauma surgery, anesthesia, neurology, emergency medicine and more. Many faculty hold advanced degrees including business administration or philosophy/ethics. We have an excellent group of critical care advanced practice providers, and an equally exemplary group of critical care nurses and respiratory therapists. We strive for a collaborative team-based approach to the delivery of critical care medicine for the patients we serve.
To build on doctor of pharmacy education and PGY1 pharmacy residency programs to contribute to the development of clinical pharmacists in specialized areas of practice. PGY2 residencies provide residents with opportunities to function independently as practitioners by conceptualizing and integrating accumulated experience and knowledge and incorporating both into the provision of patient care or other advanced practice settings. Residents who successfully complete an accredited PGY2 pharmacy residency are prepared for advanced patient care, academic or other specialized positions, along with board certification if available.
- To provide residents with the training and experience to develop professional expertise and competence as a critical care pharmacy practitioner.
- To cultivate competent and innovative practitioners who provide comprehensive pharmaceutical care services across the continuum of critical care.
- To create a foundation for the achievement of a leadership role in the profession.
- To foster the development of professionals who provide effective, dynamic education to patients and healthcare professionals.
- To support the attainment of professional self-realization.
- To develop practitioners who can create and implement medication policies that ensure rational, cost-effective drug therapy for critically ill patients.
Residency program activities
- Experiences are designed to develop skills and competence in providing pharmaceutical critical care.
- Curriculum and areas of emphasis are based on the individual resident’s knowledge, skills and career aspirations, with each resident’s experience customized to optimize their learning.
- Learning experience activities and objectives are designed to build upon past experiences.
- Model pharmacy practitioners with full-time practice and teaching responsibilities serve as preceptors for all learning experiences.
- Elective learning experiences allow the resident to further pursue interests related to their individual career objectives.
- Residents are encouraged to explore areas of interest and engage in all pharmacy activities.
- Teaching, research, leadership and other scholarly endeavors enhance the professional development of each resident.