Internal Medicine Residency – Central
Patients need care through every stage of life. An internal medicine residency with Geisinger prepares you to give it.
Choosing a residency is an important decision. So, we’re committed to helping you find the right one.
Ready for a comprehensive, high-quality and personally rewarding experience to prepare yourself for a career in medicine? The internal medicine program at Geisinger awaits.
Geisinger serves more than 1 million people in central and northeast Pennsylvania. We’ve been nationally recognized for innovative practices in quality, delivery models such as ProvenCare® and the use of an award-winning electronic medical record, Epic®. Our physician-led system has approximately 24,000 employees, including nearly 1,700 physicians, 10 hospital campuses, two research centers and a health plan with more than half a million members, all of which boost our hometown economies by $7.1 billion annually.
Geisinger Medical Center has earned American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) Magnet Recognition®. And it’s home to the region’s only Level I Trauma Center, giving residents a broad medical and surgical experience.
Our internal medicine residency program started back in 1955 with only one resident. Since then, we’ve grown to 51 residents, with 17 new students coming in each year. Our three-year program is Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) accredited.
Besides our residency’s growth, we’ve been expanding our subspecialty fellowship programs. Choose from programs in:
- Addiction medicine
- Clinical informatics
- Critical care medicine (CCM)
- Hospice & palliative medicine
- Infectious diseases
- Sleep medicine
- Sports medicine
You can also choose advanced fellowships in:
- Interventional cardiology
- Advanced endoscopy
We look forward to meeting you!
Lauren DiMarino, DO, FACOI, FACP
- 6 + 2 (x + y) curriculum model that offers:
- Continuity of care of our ambulatory patients
- Additional ambulatory experiences
- Improved work-life balance
- Built-in wellness time to attend to personal care needs
- All major subspecialties/fellowships available for elective rotations
- Wide breadth of clinical experiences and career development programs allowing for 100% fellowship match rate
- Curriculum designed to give residents a strong foundation in general internal medicine with experience in a variety of areas, including:
- Outpatient units
- Inpatient units
- Intensive care
- Subspecialty areas
- Specialty conferences to enhance interactive learning
- Integrated board review curriculum
- Dedicated simulation center and curriculum
- Procedure and POCUS workshops
- Robust wellness framework, including built-in wellness time and recurring wellness activities
- 24-hour ancillary support for:
- Patient transport
- EPIC electronic medical record system with seamless documentation across inpatient and outpatient settings, with patient records available for more than 30 years
- Access to data and analytics for research
- Quality improvement opportunities
- Funding for research activities, including reimbursement for accepted presentations
- Clinician educator track for the budding educator
- Community outreach leadership track for those with an interest in leadership and giving back to the community
- Osteopathic recognition track to develop IMM skills and reinforce Osteopathic principles
Our values – kindness, excellence, safety, learning and innovation — are at the heart of everything we do. We provide high-quality, patient-centered, cost-effective care to our patients across central Pennsylvania. And our residents learn to do the same.
- Here at Geisinger, you get the best of both worlds: Training at a robust, nationally recognized academic medical center in the heart of Pennsylvania. And a location that enhances well-being and promotes work/life balance.
- Access to educational resources like:
- Simulation skill development and procedure workshops
- Research and quality improvement (QI) courses
- Osteopathic manipulative medicine (OMM) workshops
- Geisinger Medical Center has everything you need to thrive as an internal medicine resident, including:
- More than 60 intensive care unit beds
- 38 operating rooms
- State-of-the-art imaging facilities
- Full breadth of subspecialty services
- Compassionate staff
- Dedicated internal medicine core faculty, residents and medical students.
Thanks for your interest in the Internal Medicine Residency Program at Geisinger Medical Center. Our tradition of excellence in residency training continues as we train you, our physician leaders of the future.
With this multidimensional approach to education, you’ll get a broad range of experiences in a supportive environment. Inpatient rounds, didactic presentations and multidisciplinary team conferences help you understand your patient’s health in a broader context. At Geisinger, care is empathic, evidence-based and collaborative — and you’ll learn a lot from our talented and dedicated faculty.
During residency training, you’ll grow personally and professionally as you develop your skills as a physician, in part due to mentorship and learning opportunities. Once you’ve completed your residency, we’re confident you’ll thrive in any clinical environment.
The Medicine Institute is actively engaged in clinical research. Each department in the institute has ongoing clinical projects, and we encourage you to participate. Every year, staff, residents and fellows publish their work in peer-reviewed journals and present their work at regional and national meetings.
So, why Geisinger? Providers know that we’re recognized nationally as a leader in enhancing care through innovation, quality and applied technology. Our integrated clinical practice model includes precision medicine and clinical genomics, machine learning with artificial intelligence and the use of big data to improve population health and chronic disease conditions. And patients know they’ll get top-notch care from a company that’s been in their community for more than a century.
We’re excited to welcome the next class of internal medicine residents to our Geisinger family. I hope you come with curiosity and eagerness to begin an exciting and meaningful career in medicine. We look forward to supporting you in that journey.
Kenric Maynor, MD
Chair of the Geisinger Medicine Institute