Provide care that helps patients live fuller lives. Learn how with a Geisinger Neurology Residency.
J. David Avila, MD, program director
To train excellent future clinical neurologists and clinician-educators, emphasizing qualities such as teamwork, honesty, empathy, professionalism, and advanced communication skills, while promoting lifelong self-directed learning.
- Train residents to excel in a patient-centered, integrated healthcare system, with an emphasis on quality of care and evidence-based medicine.
- Promote continuous self-assessment and improvement through mentorship and the creation of individualized goals and objectives.
- Develop education-related skills in residents and faculty to cultivate an approachable and motivational teaching environment that facilitates the retention of our faculty and graduating residents.
- Foster professional behavior and communication skills with both patients and interprofessional colleagues through faculty modeling, simulation, direct observation and feedback.
- Supportive environment
- High-quality, dedicated core teaching faculty
- Resident and faculty mentorship program
- Structured didactic curriculum
- Early exposure to neurology with 16 weeks during intern year
- Weekly schedule with "mini" electives
- Continuity clinic weeks with no inpatient service obligations (for more information, click here)
- Three weeks of boot camp (intensive neuroanatomy and neuroscience)
- Night float system with in-house teaching attending for junior residents
- Catchment area of nearly 3 million people in 48 counties
- Individualized resident attention and rotation-building for personal growth and success
- Well-being initiatives
- Annual resident retreat and other social events
- Leadership opportunities: Residency advisory committee; house staff association; diversity, equity and inclusion council; well-being committee; social media ambassadors.
- Competitive pay scale, medical education funds and generous vacation time
- Two-year Neuroendovascular Surgery Fellowship
- United Council for Neurologic Subspecialties (UCNS) accredited Behavioral Neurology & Neuropsychiatry Fellowship
- ACGME-approved Palliative Care Fellowship
- One-year Sleep Medicine Fellowship