At Geisinger, you can expect the best and latest innovations in cancer prevention, screening, diagnosis and treatment. Our more than 30-year alliance with the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and its community research programs allows us to offer the most advanced care and treatment options to patients close to home. Geisinger is a NCI Community Oncology Research Program (NCORP) community site which conducts cancer clinical trials and research to improve patient outcomes and reduce disparities in care.
Leading-edge research, delivered locally - As a Geisinger patient with cancer, you have the unique opportunity to participate in one or more of some 100 clinical research trials that involve new treatment protocols for many cancers and the opportunity to participate in a select trial of new cancer drugs. Screening and prevention trials for individuals at risk for certain types of cancer also are available. Geisinger research scientists are investigating a number of projects designed to explore cancer trends in this region and how they may affect the next generation of residents.
Clinical trials provide opportunities to evaluate the effectiveness of new ways to prevent, detect and treat cancer. The National Cancer Institute approves, oversees and provides funding for a large percentage of clinical trials conducted each year in the United States. Geisinger's participation in this network provides patients access to valuable clinical trials - without the burden and expense of traveling to a major metropolitan area.
As a result, you receive excellent care locally from the Geisinger cancer services team. Clinical cancer trials might involve preventive measures and treatments, including drugs, forms of radiation and chemotherapy, experimental surgery techniques or even alternative medicines. Your physician can present you with options and help you determine whether a clinical trial is right for you.
Through the NCORP, patients have access to phase II-III trials.
- Phase II trials test the effectiveness of treatments.
- Phase III trials test new treatments against the current standard of care.
Sites that currently offer participation in cancer research studies/clinical trials are:
- Geisinger Medical Center (Danville, PA)
- Geisinger Wyoming Valley Henry Cancer Center (Wilkes-Barre, PA)
- Geisinger Cancer Center Hazleton (Hazleton, PA)
- Geisinger Medical Oncology Lewisburg (Lewisburg, PA)
- Geisinger Medical Oncology Pottsville (Pottsville, PA)
- Geisinger Medical Oncology Selinsgrove (Selinsgrove, PA)
- Geisinger Scenery Park (State College, PA)
- Geisinger Lewistown Hospital (Lewistown, PA)