Master of Biomedical Sciences (MBS) admissions
One degree - many paths to success
Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine educates aspiring physicians, scientists and the healthcare team members of the future to serve society using a community-based, patient-centered, interprofessional and evidence-based model of education that is committed to inclusion, promotes discovery and utilizes innovative techniques.
Our students learn in an environment created specifically to address the medical and scientific realities of the 21st century. Geisinger is a pioneer in technologies and techniques ranging from fully integrated electronic health records and care delivered by multidisciplinary teams to bioinformatics and an unparalleled genomics program. Geisinger Commonwealth embraces these advances while meshing them with the age-old philosophy of biomedical science: care and concern for community. Our curriculum encourages students to take a person-centered approach to problem-solving, and we inspire our learners to meet change with confidence and an open mind. These qualities, coupled with superior communication skills fostered in innumerable small groups and professional interactions, will serve you well in any career in medicine or science.
Whether you are seeking to position yourself for further graduate study, attend professional school (such as medical, dental or optometry), gain entry into a health-related field or advance within your organization, Geisinger Commonwealth’s Master of Biomedical Sciences (MBS) program prepares students to succeed.
Why earn your MBS at Geisinger Commonwealth?
- Academic rigor: Geisinger Commonwealth emphasizes excellence. Our curriculum is rigorous, intensive, comprehensive and recognized, which means education institutions and employers know a Geisinger Commonwealth degree means an exceptionally qualified candidate
- Personal attention: Our MBS students learn in an intimate, close-knit environment. We provide personalized advising to help you make the best academic and professional choices. Geisinger Commonwealth offers a host of personal, academic and referral services to enhance your interpersonal and educational experiences.
- Real-world education: Our intensive biomedical curriculum includes elective courses that allow you to choose a personal path to success. Among our three campuses,* we offer a range of experiences that could involve research, corporate visits and mentoring from faculty, research scientists, business executives and entrepreneurs.
- Student-centered schedules: At our Scranton Campus, students attend classes full-time and complete the degree in approximately 10 to 12 months. Classes are also available online. At our Doylestown Campus, students earn their degrees in as few as 16 months through a flexible-format program, attending evening classes.*
- Enhanced credentials: Highly qualified educators and research scholars will guide you through the MBS curriculum, which closely models courses typically found in the first year of medical school.
- Research experience: Explore opportunities to take part in community health research, which emphasizes proposal writing, survey design, ethics, data management and analysis, qualitative research and field investigation.
- Career focus: Our professional development course will help you craft your personal statement and curriculum vitae (CV), practice interviewing skills and gain insight about your career options from a variety of health professionals.
- Standardized test prep: The Princeton Review MCAT, DAT or GRE prep course will prepare you for professional school. These comprehensive courses are offered at no additional charge. Students who achieve a benchmark score in the MCAT or other standardized exam may elect to opt out of the Princeton Review and take an additional elective course.
* Please note: We are currently offering our MBS program fully online until further notice.