Residency and fellowship programs
Geisinger's list of residency and fellowship programs is continuously growing and includes a variety of specialties and subspecialties.
- Clinical psychology internship
- Critical care pharmacy
- Emergency medicine
- General surgery
- Internal medicine
- Internal medicine/pediatrics
- Medical physics
- Oncology pharmacy
- Oral & maxillofacial surgery
- Pediatric dentistry
- Pharmacy (GMC)
- Plastic surgery
- Adult reconstruction
- Bariatric & minimally invasive surgery
- Cardiology & interventional cardiology
- Clinical cardiac electrophysiology
- Clinical informatics
- Clinical psychology & behavioral medicine
- Critical care
- Hematology & medical oncology
- Hospice & palliative medicine
- Interventional radiology/diagnostic radiology (IR/DR) – independent radiology
- Maternal-fetal medicine
- Micrographic surgery & dermatologic oncology
- Neuroendovascular surgery
- Pulmonary & critical care
- Sports medicine
- Vascular neurology
- Vascular surgery
Living in our area
The central and northeastern Pennsylvania region offers
- Mountain biking, fishing, hiking, camping, skiing and boating
- Several large and small colleges and universities
- Minor league and amateur sporting events
- Orchestral and choral music, drama and other cultural events
- Concerts and arena concert venues
- Fine dining as well as cafes, coffee houses and ethnic restaurants
- Quaint towns, local festivals, antique and boutique shopping
- Good schools, safe neighborhoods, quiet streets
- Affordable, upscale housing
- Reasonable commutes to major metropolitan areas such as Philadelphia, New York City and Washington, D.C.
Better begins with all of us
At Geisinger, you’ll work on a collaborative team, driven by a mindset where everyone plays an integral part in our long-term success. We are continually seeking to improve in big and small ways, and with the support of your colleagues and leadership, you’ll be able to achieve your goals and lead a successful career.
Click here to learn about the work our team has accomplished:
- Population Health – A series of initiatives and programs that make better health easier for our communities by addressing social issues such as poverty, food deserts and environmental factors.
- ProvenHealth Navigator® – An advanced, patient-centered medical home that benefits our elderly Medicare population and has expanded to include our broader, adult commercial population.
Leading healthcare change
Does being an agent of change excite you? We’re not afraid to do things differently when it comes to tackling challenges that will improve health outcomes and reduce the total cost of care. For over a century, Geisinger has led healthcare innovation and now you can be a part of it.
- Innovative research – Two research centers, our groundbreaking MyCode Community Health Initiative, various support and opportunities, and funding for travel
- Keystone Health Information Exchange (KeyHIE) – Access to non-Geisinger patient's electronic health records in PA. PACS imaging technology, lifeIMAGE - image sharing technology
- Fully Integrated Electronic Medical Record (since 1996)
In the service of caring
For 100+ years, we’ve been committed to caring. Working here, you’ll have the opportunity to make an impact in the lives of your patients, families and the communities you live and work in. We believe caring goes well beyond providing exceptional healthcare — that’s why we provide you the time to connect with your patients, so you can focus on the quality of your interactions.
- ProvenExperience® – Based on kindness and compassion, a program that offers refunds to patients whose expectations weren't met.
- ProvenRecovery® – Our surgical redesign program that promotes faster healing, better pain management and lowering the use of opioids.
Careers with lasting impact
With a high value on learning, exploring and thinking outside the box, you’re able to grow and develop the career you want. Here, you’ll have the potential to impact not only our patients, members and communities, but the entire healthcare landscape.
- Fellowship opportunities
Hear from some of our former residents
As a fourth-year medical student, I knew I wanted a surgical residency. I thought I wanted a big academic medical center, but then I had a rotation at my dream hospital. I did not see junior residents operating much. I thought I did more as a medical student than some of the second-year residents I observed. What attracted me to Geisinger was the early operative experiences for residents. When I was done with residency, I wanted to be able to hit the ground running with my surgical skills. That’s what I got at Geisinger.”
One thing that impressed me about Geisinger’s residencies is their focus on didactics. There’s such a strong academic component. When I interviewed elsewhere, residents sometimes told me that learning opportunities like morning report and noon conference were frequently canceled. That doesn’t happen at Geisinger. Here, the teaching culture is robust.”
Almost immediately, I was greeted with smiling faces from residents, nurses and faculty alike. Little did I know then that those people would become great colleagues for years to come. Even on a busy ICU rotation, the residents were always willing to take the time to help me learn. It was clear to me that the program selected residents who are not only brilliant but also ‘play well’ with each other.”
Since coming to Geisinger, I’ve participated in more research than I ever thought possible and working with residents is endlessly intellectually stimulating. It makes for better patient care. I find it very gratifying and rewarding to be a part of training excellent, well-rounded clinicians.”
Attendings make it a point to bring residents into decision-making. They grant you a lot of autonomy, so I had confidence in many, varied situations. Being a med-peds, your input is sought after for cases that they may not have much experience with (i.e. Cystic Fibrosis, ear infections, hypertension, etc.) which makes you feel valued, but, also demands that you really know your stuff.”