Geisinger's list of residency and fellowship programs is continuously growing and includes a variety of specialties and subspecialties.
- Clinical psychology internship
- Critical care pharmacy
- Emergency medicine
- General surgery
- Internal medicine
- Internal medicine/pediatrics
- Medical physics
- Oncology pharmacy
- Oral & maxillofacial surgery
- Pediatric dentistry
- Pharmacy (GMC)
- Plastic surgery
- Adult reconstruction
- Bariatric & minimally invasive surgery
- Cardiology & interventional cardiology
- Clinical cardiac electrophysiology
- Clinical informatics
- Clinical psychology & behavioral medicine
- Critical care
- Hematology & medical oncology
- Hospice & palliative medicine
- Interventional radiology/diagnostic radiology (IR/DR) – independent radiology
- Maternal-fetal medicine
- Micrographic surgery & dermatologic oncology
- Neuroendovascular surgery
- Pulmonary & critical care
- Sports medicine
- Vascular neurology
- Vascular surgery
Living in our area
The central and northeastern Pennsylvania region offers
- Mountain biking, fishing, hiking, camping, skiing and boating
- Several large and small colleges and universities
- Minor league and amateur sporting events
- Orchestral and choral music, drama and other cultural events
- Concerts and arena concert venues
- Fine dining as well as cafes, coffee houses and ethnic restaurants
- Quaint towns, local festivals, antique and boutique shopping
- Good schools, safe neighborhoods, quiet streets
- Affordable, upscale housing
- Reasonable commutes to major metropolitan areas such as Philadelphia, New York City and Washington, D.C.
Managing total health
Growing our share of risk membership and enhancing our ability to manage the at-risk population
- Geisinger Health Plan
Our 500,000+ member health plan known for its high-quality, affordable healthcare benefits.
- 65 Forward
Senior-focused primary care centers where physicians can focus on a patient panel size of up to 400, well below the national average panel size.
- Geisinger at Home
Team-based care that makes it easier to improve health by meeting patients where they are – right at home.
- Intersection between care and coverage
We’ve consistently demonstrated that closer alignment between Geisinger Health Plan and our healthcare providers benefits the communities we serve, resulting in 18% lower readmission rates, 7.9% lower cost of care, 10% better in cancer screenings and more.
- Fresh Food Farmacy
Groundbreaking program that uses food to provide life-saving alternatives to patients with diabetes.
Achieving continuous improvement among measures of organizational health
- Destination Medicine
Geisinger cares for cardiac, spine, bariatric and joint replacement patients from across the country and has been consistently designated as a national leader for high quality, affordable care.
- Geisinger Academy
Engagement, professional development and retention is part of our commitment to you at Geisinger. The Geisinger Academy provides a continuum of learning opportunities including courses, certificates, master’s degrees, communities of practice and executive education. The Academy fosters the development of competencies and skills focused on teaching and learning, communication, management and leadership, scholarly activity and precision medicine. Curriculum is evidence based, holistic and focused on best practices and the future of health with Geisinger’s competency model woven throughout our diverse curriculum.
- Diversity and Inclusion Council
Built from a cross-section of employees across the system, this council ensures alignment with Geisinger’s mission of providing culturally competent care and developing and sustaining a diverse workforce.
- Top patient satisfaction
Geisinger providers consistently rank in the top 10 percent in patient experience nationally from Press Ganey survey results, which gives patients an opportunity to grade the service and care they received from a provider.
- Employee engagement and retention
We continually seek to improve in big and small ways and ensure our employees are an important part of our success:
- We invest in your development with opportunities for mentorship, professional growth, and career advancement.
- Our employee engagement surveys foster an environment of continuous listening and dialogue with our employees to enhance communication, provide more real-time feedback, and create a culture of broader transparency, shared accountability.
Access and ease of use
Putting the consumer first by delivering the access, convenience and coordination they desire
- Mail-order pharmacy
- Prescriptions refilled to patients' homes every 90 days so they never have to worry about running out of their medications.
- Growing retail and mail-order pharmacy to save patients money and promote better medication adherence.
- Primary Care expansion and redesign
- Support our communities with the growth of our network, facilities, and services to provide the best care.
- Expanded care team: physicians work with a team of advanced practitioners, nurses, dietitians, pharmacists and psychologists to better manage the health of patients.
Provides patients with access to specialty care and primary care from the comfort of their home.
- Digital Strategy
We have a comprehensive organizational strategy around digital transformation to provide a personalized, state-of-the-art consumer experience. Our commitment to providing our consumers easy access to manage their care ultimately leads to better clinical outcomes and increased customer satisfaction.
Hear from some of our former residents
Robust clinical volumes with diverse patient pathophysiology along with exceptional clinical teaching first attracted me to Geisinger. I have stayed for the abundant opportunities that are increasingly present in our innovative healthcare system that allow ongoing professional development in education, informatics, research, leadership, and healthcare delivery. I have been honored to lead the educational mission for Graduate Medical Education and continually strive to leverage Geisinger’s strengths in developing programs that create the healthcare teams of tomorrow.”
People often think of Geisinger as being innovative as a patient-centered healthcare delivery system, however, we are constantly striving to improve and develop GME training programs in unique and innovative ways as well. Pennsylvania offers a relaxed and beautiful setting to return home to at the end of a busy workday while also providing the opportunity to be in a busy city within a matter of hours.”
As a fourth-year medical student, I knew I wanted a surgical residency. I thought I wanted a big academic medical center, but then I had a rotation at my dream hospital. I did not see junior residents operating much. I thought I did more as a medical student than some of the second-year residents I observed. What attracted me to Geisinger was the early operative experiences for residents. When I was done with residency, I wanted to be able to hit the ground running with my surgical skills. That’s what I got at Geisinger.”
One thing that impressed me about Geisinger’s residencies is their focus on didactics. There’s such a strong academic component. When I interviewed elsewhere, residents sometimes told me that learning opportunities like morning report and noon conference were frequently canceled. That doesn’t happen at Geisinger. Here, the teaching culture is robust.”
Almost immediately, I was greeted with smiling faces from residents, nurses and faculty alike. Little did I know then that those people would become great colleagues for years to come. Even on a busy ICU rotation, the residents were always willing to take the time to help me learn. It was clear to me that the program selected residents who are not only brilliant but also ‘play well’ with each other.”
Since coming to Geisinger, I’ve participated in more research than I ever thought possible and working with residents is endlessly intellectually stimulating. It makes for better patient care. I find it very gratifying and rewarding to be a part of training excellent, well-rounded clinicians.”
Attendings make it a point to bring residents into decision-making. They grant you a lot of autonomy, so I had confidence in many, varied situations. Being a med-peds, your input is sought after for cases that they may not have much experience with (i.e. Cystic Fibrosis, ear infections, hypertension, etc.) which makes you feel valued, but, also demands that you really know your stuff.”